March 12, 2010

From the big screen to paperback

The Truth, It Lies started life as a movie about a movie that would never be seen. Now it’s a book about a movie and nearly became the book that would never be seen.

Why Hollywood?
The Truth, It Lies was the title of a short movie script I wrote for a course I was doing back in 2002.  At the time I wanted to pursue script-writing rather than novel writing. I had an idea for a movie about a movie and as Hollywood is the epicentre of the movie industry this naturally brought Los Angeles into the story. The script was set between the present day and the past. A very difficult thing to achieve in seven minutes! The main character was researching a movie star who had fallen from grace and died in mysterious circumstances. 

Why the 1950s and the witch-hunt era?
In looking for an era in which to place the movie star character the early 1950s jumped out. The Communist witch-hunt turned the movie industry against itself. McCarthyism became a byword for the era. Fear was a very potent emotion at the time and it seemed like a good idea to drop a character into this situation and see what happened.

From big screen aspirations to paperback, why?
I spent the next couple of years writing and re-writing treatments to turn that short script into a feature length movie. However, I was never able to find the right formula to make the jump between the two timelines work. Then in late 2004 the opportunity arose to turn the script into a book instead. In re-plotting the book I stripped away a lot of the story and set it all in the 1950s. The book was written, edited and a cover designed by early 2006. However, by this time I had severed my relationship with the original publisher due to circumstances beyond my control and decided to publish it myself using a subsidiary press.

Why publish a new edition independently?
The book was published in late 2006. It sold a few copies but not enough to get it noticed. In the meantime I started work on a follow-up Hollywood novel and completed an MA in Creative Writing, as well as starting work on a further two books. But over time I became unhappy with how The Truth, It Lies turned out. The large format of the book was too big for a book of about 250 pages. Also, I was unhappy with the writing itself. In late 2008 I decided to give it an overhaul and rewrite it. Once finished I found a new editor and after some further plot alternations it was finished. By late 2009 the revised book was available to the public. But I had developed a sense that the subsidiary press wasn’t a user-friendly solution to my printing needs. So after some research I decided to set up a new company to publish the new edition myself. I had used the name engano books informally for some years but now it officially existed. Crucially the printer allowed me to select a smaller print format which suits the book better. At the same time I made the decision to give it a new cover, which ironically enough was a cover that I rejected during the initial design process five years ago.

The new edition of The Truth, It Lies will be published by engano books in 2010. For more information visit www.enganobooks.com

No comments:

Post a Comment